Monday, July 5, 2010

perspective

I read Relevant magazine today and a great article on Donald Miller. Donald Miller is one of my favorite authors. I want to write like him. I want people to like my writing like I like his. He’s one of those people where when I read his books I don’t necessarily think, “wow, that’s a new idea”, I think, “ oh my gosh, that’s exactly what I think”! O.K., I learn new things too when I read his stuff, but just about always agree and want to rearticulate it just like he said it. Reading the article today, helped me remember why I want to write and how I want to write and how I don’t want to write. In the article it said that a relative recently told him, “You are an author who is a Christian. You are not a Christian author.” I want my writing to come across like that. I don’t want to be preachy but to come across from a personal perspective. I want to be more raw. I want to write more like my sister Elaine suggested, that I don’t write like there is this promise that if we live for God everything will be great. It might not be great, but it can be more meaningful and peace filled. Miller said, “that the idea that Jesus will make everything better is a lie. He says it’s “biblical theology translated into the language of infomercials.” Jesus will make everything better, but not necessarily today and maybe not even during our earthly existence. I just want to write about real life, about how even though I love God with all my heart, life is not always great, but every moment has a deeper meaning and depth to it and that Jesus does make a difference and can give you peace through it all, but it’s not this sweet churchy little life. It’s tough. I wrote three words in my journal a couple of weeks ago. Acceptance, Focus and Gratitude. It’s not all about getting it right or getting to the point where everything around you is right. It’s about acceptance, focus and gratitude. That’s where peace lies. I want to come across as introspective and emotionally honest, funny and vulnerable, but most importantly authentic.

1 comment: